In the 1890's, it was recognized that there was the need for a Congregational ministry closer to the Savin Hill area of Dorchester. As a result, on February 1, 1893, the Romsey Street Congregational Chapel was opened. Located on Romsey Street, the Romsey Congregational Church was organized in 1903. It was united with the Pilgrim Church, March 9, 1930. They brought with them the three memorial stained glass windows (dedicated on September 12, 1915) which, regretably, were destroyed by a fire in 1970 which ravaged the main sanctuary of Pilgrim Church. While work was being done on heating pipes in January, 2011, the memorial panel to one of these windows (Mary Ellen Castle, 1838-1915) was rediscovered.
Misc. Boston Newspapers: August 1, 1910
Pastors Romsey Congregational Church
Rev Frank L. Luce 1902-1913
Rev. George R. Merrill 1914-1918
Rev. Merrill was born in Newburyport, Mass., on December. 26, 1845.He was ordained Congregational by a Congregational Council at Henrietta, New York on January 2, 1867. He served as Pastor of the following churches (other than Romsey Street): Henrietta, New York, from1866-70; Adrian, Michigan, from 1873-76; Second Church, Biddeford, Maine, from 1876-79; First Church, Painesville, Ohio, 1879-86; First Church, Minneapols, Minnesota, from 1886-98; LesLvitt St. Church, Chicago,Ilinois, from 1898-1900; and Hackensack, New Jersey, from 1920-1922. He also served as Superintendent: of the Congregational Home Missionary Society, in Minnesota, from 1900-13 and for the Extension Boards, for Southeastern District, from 1917-20. He died at Philadelphia, Pa., Oct. 19, 1926.
Rev. Wilfred D. Harrison 1918-1923
Rev. Walter B. Jerge 1923-1925
Rev. Earl Vinie 1925-1926
Rev. Vinie was born in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, on March 22, 1893. He attended Yale Divinity School and was ordained Congregational at Dover, Massachusetts, on September 13, 1922. In addition to his work at Romsey Street, he halso served churches in Dover, Massachusetts (1922), Oriskany Falls, New York (1922-24), Woodbury, Conneticut (1925-1927), and East Church in Springfield, Massachusetts (1932-1941). He died in Columbia, South Carolina, on March 19, 1956.
Rev. Elmer T. Blake 1926-1930
Rev. Blake was born on July 5, 1862, on July 5, 1862. He was educated at Dartmouth College (B.A., 1888) and Andover Theological Seminary (1895.) He was ordained by a Congregational Council held at Charlestown, New Hampsire,on February 25, 1896. He served, in addition to Romsey Street, the following Congregational Churches: Charlestown, New Hampshire (1895-1913), Meredith, New Hampshire, (1913-17); Pembroke, New Hampshire, (1917-24) and Cotuit, Massachusetts, (1924-26). When the Romsey Street Church merged with Pilgrim, Rev. Blake became the Associate Pastor of Pilgrim Church, Dorchester. He also served as a Teacher in the Preparatory Department of Drury College from 1888-91. He died at Marblehead, Mass., Aug. 28, 1931.