Information regarding Hutchings Opus 404 is based upon observations made in April of 1991 by the Organ Advisory Committee of the Boston Chapter of the American Guild of Organinsts. Our appreciation is deepy expressed. This information is beign shared in the hope that Opus 404 might be restored to the Praise of God.
For the most part unplayable for almost four decades, Geo. S. Hutchings Opus 404 has been situated at Pilgrim Church since it was built in Dorchester in 1896. It is a very early example of the elctro-pneumatic playing action which was developed by the young Ernest M. Skinner (then working for George Hutchings, though later to found his own organ building company, a precursor of the Aeolian-Skinner firm.) With the exception of the Great Trumpet (victim, it would seem, of a misdirected basketball), the pipework has been described in "quite good condition." With a few minor exceptions, it appears that Opus 404 is largely unaltered from the time of its installation at Pilgrim Church.